I hope you’ll enjoy taking the quiz below. I used it with great success at a talk I gave yesterday. I awarded a lottery scratch-off ticket to each person who gave a correct answer (I gave them printed copies of the article and told them where to find the answers). My students were quite engaged and seemed to enjoy it.
The questions below come from an October 28, 2014 US News and World Report article called, You’ll Likely Need Long-Term Care, But How Will You Pay for It? This article is great because it’s accurate, brief, straightforward, and well-researched. The article links its statements to the studies documenting them.
Long-Term Care (LTC) IQ QUIZ
1) What percentage of caregiving is done by unpaid family members and friends, including spouses, children and relatives?
2) What percentage of unpaid caregivers had to make financial sacrifices?
3) What is the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the US?
4) Nationwide, what percentage of LTC costs does Medicaid pay?
5) What percentage of Americans own LTC insurance?
6) What percentage of Americans are concerned about LTC costs?
7) What is the correct age to consider buying LTC insurance?
8) What is the annual cost of nursing home care?
1) 90%. I’ve done prior blogs on this.
2) 37%. I’ve done prior blogs on this.
3) Medical expenses which include LTC.
4) Two-thirds. See my blogs on Medicaid.
5) 15%. This is on the high side, other sources say closer to 11%. Bottom line: not enough of us!
6) 74% say they’d forego a cup of Starbucks a day to pay their LTC premiums. But they aren’t doing so!
7) In your 40’s. I’ve done prior blogs on why this is so.
8) $50,000/year. This is an average and is not for the accommodations you’d desire. Check out Genworth’s annual cost of care survey to find all care costs in your locale.